Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: ballast tank innerds

----- Original Message -----
From: <VBra676539@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 4:09 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: ballast tank innerds

> The fiberglas slosh was used successfully at Hyco for years. All the
Pisces vehicles were sheathed in a single layer of glas cloth and resin. A
word to the wise: DO NOT PAINT! Straight resin over cloth lets you see
corrosion sneaking underneath (the steel turns black). If you paint it, you
can't see it. It sounds like Pat is going to use it as a top coat to protect
his custom paint job. That'll work, I think.
> Vance

When you said DO NOT PAINT, I thought "OUCH! That hurts!"  The problem is I
wanted to replicated the oxidized exterior of the movie NAUTILUS without
having actual oxidation.  But I see by your bottom line that I can paint the
boat, AND THEN put the resin over that?  Do I understand this correctly?
Then I'll still be able to see the corrosion discoloration?

Also, I wasn't thinking of cloth, just resin.  I used this to protect the
welds and some ballast tank portions hidden under panels in free-flooding
areas; it seems to have remained without flaking off; and there isn't any
corrosion visible underneath.  Whatayathink of painting the entire boat with
resin, minus the cloth?

Pat