Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: high speed subs

----- Original Message -----
From: <VBra676539@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: high speed subs

> Pat,

"I couldn't begin to guess why your boat doesn't experience the problem
(but, who's complaining?)."

Since this is a common problem with stern drive subs, I guess we shouldn't
overlook the possibility that maybe mine is doing it to some extent, but it
may have been masked by ballasting, and / or maybe I was so intent on other
things that I just didn't notice it.  Next time I put her in the water I'll
be looking for it, though.

"How long is the Nautilus pressure hull? I can't tell if the outer skin is
submarine or superstructure."

The pressure hull is a steel teardrop that extends almost the entire length
of the boat, minus the forward rakers and the tailfins; from where the bow
first begins to broaden to a point, to about a foot short of the prop (which
is where the free-flooding motor housing is).  The outer hull IS the ballast
tanks, running almost the entire length of the pressure hull.  Only the very
tip of the bow, tail end of the empenage, and aft portion of the upper deck,
are free flooding.  The rest is p-hull and b-tanks.

"And if the ballast system is well represented aft .... hmmm, just thinking
out loud here."

If I understand what you mean by "well represented aft", (like, there's a
lot of ballast tank back there?), the answer is "Yes, it is."  Given that
information, what effect might a lot of available ballast tank in that area
have on the settling syndrome?

Pat