Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient vs. 1 ATM: the historical perspective

In a message dated 2/27/00 5:34:14 AM, Allan_Gaines@yahoo.com writes:

<<

>My four seperate ballast tanks also provide safety via system redundancy;

    Speaking of ballast tanks, I've got a question.  I take

it you have to get INTO ballast tanks occasionally to

clean them out (either "crud" or corrosion).  How do

you do this?

    This question goes for anyone on the list who has

a sub.

You don't spend much time cleaning tanks. If the sub lived in the water, it
would need more attention, but a little attention with a squirt nozzle
usually does all that needs doing. If it is an integral tank, like the
Nekton's or the early Perry boats, they had to have access for hull
maintenance. The Nektons have secondary ports to remove and the Perrys have
inspection ports w/O-ring seals. Most MBTs are either fiberglas or stainless
steel, specifically to reduce the impact of rust/corrosion. As for mud and
crud gathered when diving lakes and rivers, I'd recommend you hose everything
down as part of your post dive. That's standard offshore.
Vance