Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] "Vulcania" (was: Langkawi Islands)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Gaines" <Allan_Gaines@yahoo.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2000 4:52 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] "Vulcania" (was: Langkawi Islands)

"This may sound silly, but the Nautilus from Disney's "20,000 Leagues" just
looks "neater" everytime I look at it."

Not silly at all.  I've been looking at it since December of '54; I've got
models of it in my display case, pictures of it on the wall, and one I can
drive down in the garage; I see it every day, and I never get tired of it.
I am constantly on the lookout for more images, renderings, models,
behind-the-scenes photos, etc.

Submarines in general are fascinating in themselves; perhaps because they
lurk low on the surface, disappear, and come up go where they wish, and
surface without warning.  There's an untamed freedom about that I find
appealing.  But the NAUTILUS has added mystique to it.  A nightmarish cross
between some impossible mechanical shark and crocodile, it's glowing "eyes"
give it a personna, and it's imposing "teeth" are silent reminders of
Conseil's observation that "this is an engine of destruction".  There is a
subdued power about it that is both unique and singularly imposing all at
the same time.

Maybe this accounts for the fact that so many people around the World have
loved this design for so long.  It's so intricate, and its lines are so
bold, it is a visual feast for the eyes, and I for one never tire of gazing
at it.  One cannot look upon the NAUTILUS without imagining it in action;
and that is an exciting vision indeed.

I guess that's part of the reason that, when I realized my HYPERSUB project
could be used as the basis for a functional NAUTILUS, I instantaneously and
without any hesitation whatsoever scrapped the high-speed minisub idea for a
scale replica of Nemo's creation, even though the weight and balance looked
marginal.  It evokes fond memories amongst baby-boomers I've been
priveledged to share it with; and their amazed reaction of childlike awe
upon seeing it has been the source of great satisfaction and enjoyment to
me; easily worth the time and expense that went into making it.

On behalf of the entire World, allow me to say "Thank you, Harper Goff and
Walt Disney".

I could rave on about this for hours; but I've got to get into the rain-room
and get ready for work tonight.  Shucks!  Back to reality (but not for
long!!!).

Very best regards,

Pat Regan
vulcania@interpac.net