From: Rob Divine <divine@kconline.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Thursday, February 17, 2000 12:18 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull material

I know, I know, its been done to deth.
   My dady always told me to work with what you know.
Let me run this up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.
   I have been able to make boats that float, I am now trying to make one that sinks.  This is a new consept to me, so, I am not shure how much weight it will take to do this. I have seen alot of talk around the subject but no defanate answers.
   Is it more a displacement problem or a weight problem or both?
  My thought is that a fiberglass shell would be to light, not to mention trying to get it to handle the pressure. I plan on 50' max so I want to be able to take it to 100' befor the ultamat headake takes place.
   What do you think of a fiberglass outer shell held together with a pressure treated lumber skeliton.  "plaster" the inside with a rebar reinforced concreet.  That would add streingth and weight all with easaly manipulated materials.
   What would be the pros and cons to a design of that nature?
I am dying to get this off the drawing board and into the back yard, but untill I am confadant of my design and that the materials chosen, It will just stay on the drawing board.
   Steal is not out of the question, its just to hard to work with. it doesent bend well and unless you know what you are doing, the welds can fail.  I know wood and fiberglass and it works easaly.  and it doesent rust.
  Rob