[PSUBS-MAILIST] URL to Nautilus Minisub AVI...

Hi All!

I sent a 1 minute 17 second AVI about my NAUTILUS MINISUB to Ray for posting at PSUBS.  He received it, but so far isn't having much luck viewing it.  Maybe his AVI program isn't compatable; we don't know yet; he's done a lot to get this thing on line, but right now he's swamped with other things, so I thought I'd turn to you for some "experimental assistance".

This AVI shows some scenes taken during the proving tests back in '91, and is set to rock music.  I am thinking about using it for the intro to my upcoming NAUTILUS MINISUB video.  Of course, the quality of the AVI isn't as good as the video itself (a tad grainy, and some of the special effects transitions "wash out") but at least you could get some idea of content.

The AVI is compatable with WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER: available as a free download on many computer news sites, or at microsoft.com if you don't already have it.

The file is almost 11 megabites (pretty big).  It took me 55 minutes to download it into my temporary internet cache from Ray's URL, but that's only the first time, and once it's in, it downloads in about 15 seconds on my machine, using a 56K modem.

If your modem is slower, it will probably take longer; faster modems download in less time.  One guy told me he downloaded it in 9 minutes, but the KPS was all over the scale: high one minute, down to almost nothing the next.  It does weird things audio-visually while downloading as well: first it doesn't look like it's doing anything; then you get still images on the screen, bursts of music, etc.  Don't be faked out!  Just let it go until the download is complete.

My advice: click on the URL, and go have lunch or something.  When you come back, if the WMP interface screen shows a title page reading THE BEGINNING and the counter says "STOPPED AT 1:17", you've received it and it's ready to go. Just click on the black triangle to play.  If it doesn't say it is "stopped at 1:17", go do something else and come back in a while.  It could take more than an hour to download initially, but only seconds after its in your files; and I hope you'll find it worth the wait.

The WMP screen is tiny, but you can enlarge it via the "full screen" icon in the upper corner.  Better sit back about 6 feet from your monitor, though; as the enlarged picture is really grainy and pixelated.

If you like rock music, turn your speakers UP.  If not, well....what can I tell ya?  ;-)

This is all still in the experimental stages, and I'm posting this message because I'd like your feedback on the AVI.  ESPECIALLY you folks at AOL.COM!!!  I've found that aol.com users can't receive files this big via email due to a restriction to their capacity; but I'd also like to know if that restriction applies to your temporary internet cache files, which is where this AVI will go if you download it from the URL.

You can check it out at:

http://www.psubs.org/psub_pic/nemo_pic/NAUTCLIP1A.avi

Enjoy!!!

Very best regards,