[PSUBS-MAILIST] The Ocean Environment

Here in New Jersey there has been a aging debate over plans to dump dredged
material from near the Brooklyn docks on a site a few miles off the Jersey
coast.  There was a hearing at Fort Monmouth where the Army Corps of Engineers
was supposed to hear testimony from all sides, but it turned into a one sided
shouting match.  There were about 120 members of the Longshoreman's union bussed
in to  do the shouting.  Others who came to testify against the planned dredge
dump were not able to and the situation is not yet resolved.

There is one congressman involved, Frank Pallone, and large economic
considerations both for the Brooklyn docks and for the Jersey shore's tourist
trade ( even the perception of pollution can keep them away in droves).  With
all that money at stake and so many people so worked up about it, it occured to
me that one or more of you who have subs and like to use them, might find a
paying, or at least subsidized, reason to dive.  I don't know what sort of data
collection you might be able to market, a few snapshots, some collection of
samples, taking the congressman for a ride so he can say he went on a
fact-finding mission, who knows.  But it is a big deal around here and it is
underwater so....

...here are some things I cut and pasted from some other e-mails I've received.

An Asbury Park Press editorial, 1/26/00

 The dock workers who showed up in force to disrupt the public hearing
on an ocean dumping permit did themselves, their union or their cause
no favor. They are deluding themselves if they think for a minute that
they won the day for dumping because they shouted down the opposition.

 Members of the longshoremen's union filled the theater at Fort
Monmouth on Monday. That left no room for some Jersey Shore residents
who oppose the permit to dump sludge dredged from the piers in the Red
Hook section of Brooklyn. Dumping opponents have no union to charter
buses or to allow them to take a day off from work to intimidate
people.

 The threat by the head of the New Jersey AFL-CIO against Rep. Frank
Pallone Jr., D-NJ, typifies the kind of strong-arm tactics that have
no place in a new century. Charles Wowkanech, the union official,
reportedly called Pallone a liar and warned him of political
consequences. That could backfire on union members. It's to Pallone's
credit that he's willing to buck the unions on environmental
protection.

 Keeping the contaminated muck from the docks of New York harbor out
of the ocean will not derail plans to deepen the shipping channels to
50 feet. The material that far down is clean enough to be used to cap
the Mud Dump site. That's what was intended in the 1996 agreement
brokered by Vice President Al Gore.

 New York officials say they are about to come up with a land disposal
site for dredge spoils. It's time they did. That's where contaminated
muck should go.

Copyright 1997-2000 IN Jersey

MUD DUMP: SOME OF THE COMMENTS YOU DIDN'T GET TO HEAR

Date: 26 Jan 2000
From: Savthebay@aol.com

Col. William H. Pearce
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
New York District
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278-0090 1-26-00

Dear Col. Pearce:

 I am submitting in the testimony that I never had to opportunity to
present at Monday's hearing because of the failure to curb the
unconscionable behavior of the longshoremen. I do not understand why
vocal hecklers were not evicted from the meeting in the early
afternoon, thereby setting a precedent that would have allowed the
hearing to continue.

 Ironically, before the doors opened at noon, I had the chance to talk
outside with several union members individually before their
colleagues arrived en masse on the busses. When they heard we were not
against dredging, but only wanted the dredge materials to be placed
somewhere else, they all were quite supportive of our position and
agreed with the need to keep the dredge spoils from contaminating our
waters. Sadly, however, the Port Authority has succeeded in making
this an "us vs. them" issue, using misinformation to rile up the rank
and file. Whoever developed this PR strategy deserves credit; it
worked on Monday. But, in the long run, it will backfire. It has
brought to a new level the public's determination to fight against
ocean dumping every chance we get. You can be certain that this kind
of opposition will be mobilized for every future permit that is
requested to dump materials that we, the public, know contain
unacceptable levels of contamination.

Testimony on the Port Authority Permit for Brooklyn Marine Terminals

 We've heard about - and agree with - the critical importance of
protecting the economic vitality of New York Harbor. But we also need
to hear about the real economic threat to New Jersey from ocean
dumping.

 I want to remind everyone here of the economic disaster at the Jersey
Shore caused by ocean pollution. Many of us remember the summer of
1988, when pollution and debris wash-ups occurred along the coast.

 A study recently published in the Marine Pollution Bulletin (which I
am submitting with my testimony) looked at, among other things, the
economic losses to the state of New Jersey associated with beach
recreational activities and sport fishing in 1988.

 Beach attendance dropped by up to 33% over the previous summer. Sport
fishing expenditures dropped by up to 20%. Local retail and wholesale
fish markets suffered in sales, which, according to this study,
probably depressed demand and price, and in turn resulted in welfare
losses felt by the commercial fishing industry. For the first time,
seafood markets advertised that they did not carry NJ seafood
products.

 In all, it is estimated that the ocean pollution cost New Jersey $379
million on the low end, and up to $1.6 billion in beach-related and
sport fishing expenditures - just that one summer. And those figures
are in 1987 dollars.

 What is even more frightening, is that these impacts take place even
if there is just the perception of pollution. Following a June 1976
pollution event at several Long Island Beaches, the shore town of
Seaside Heights, NJ, lost more than $300,000 in beach revenues even
though it was not affected by the pollution.

 So it is imperative that we maintain the perception of clean oceans
and beaches in New Jersey to ensure the economic vitality that comes
with the tens of thousands of visitors to the shore each summer.

 The same can be said for recreational fishing. The affects on real or
perceived pollution to fish habitats and spawning grounds ultimately
affect where and when anglers choose to fish. In a "real" case - of
PCB contamination in the New Bedford Harbor - a 1986 study was done to
determine the cost of non-remediation. The study found that the
long-term cost to the recreational fishery of not removing the PCBs
would have been $3.1 million.

 And of course, there is the matter of public health, although I
cringe to put a dollar value on human life. In relation to the 1988
ocean pollution, several studies were conducted on the economic costs
of cancer risk associated with seafood contaminated with PCBs and
dioxin. The numbers are staggering - in the multi-billions of dollars
in lost lives, productivity, medical costs, etc.

 So, as we speak about the critical economic value of our ports, we
need to consider the TRUE economic costs of continuing to dump dredge
spoils from New York Harbor into New Jersey waters.

 I will not belabor the level of contaminants in the Brooklyn Marine
Terminals dredge spoils, or the need for stricter EPA standards for
remediation materials. Other speakers have made those points. But I
will emphasize the need for looking at the real long-term cost of
continuing to dump contaminated materials. You need to compare the
difference in economic value gained by dumping in the ocean vs. not
dumping in the ocean.

 Do the math and you will see the benefits to all involved of
developing and using safer alternatives. You will see the up-front
investment in beneficial uses as just that - an investment. It is
win-win investment in a future that ensures long-term environmental
and economic health.

 If you buy a beautiful house in the woods, would you hide your trash
in your neighbor's patch of trees just because it's easier and cheaper
than bringing it to the curb? It would quickly come back to haunt you,
in the way of odors and critters that don't recognize your boundary
between the properties. It will ruin any relationship you might have
had with your neighbor. And, eventually, as the negative effects
multiply, the real estate value of both properties will suffer.

 Similarly, contaminants with long-term adverse effects in the marine
environment and on public health can result in enormous economic
losses for New Jersey. This is justification enough for public policy
that helps mitigate and eliminate toxic substances in our oceans.

 Economics should absolutely play an important role in public policies
about the management of dredge materials. But it must be a true
economic picture, encompassing all costs - present and future in New
York and New Jersey.

Sincerely,
Merry Brennan
Monmouth County Friends of Clearwater Board Member
Shark River Environmental Roundtable
Belmar Environmental Commission

And a few other contact possibilities....

 For more information, call the Clean Ocean Action office at SandyHook (732)
872-0111 or send us an e-mail at CleanOcean@monmouth.com
Cindy Zipf (COA) 732-872-0111

From: "Baykeeper" {andy_keeper@netlabs.net}

Jessie Jenkins {JJenkins@DCCMC.ORG
Jessie Jenkins
Center for Marine Conservation
Ecosystem & Clean Oceans Programs
(202) 429-5609, x565

PALLONE & OCEAN ADVOCATES `GAGGED' AT HEARING - FEB 12