Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass

Joe;  (who's Marsee?)

In your original message you mentioned "fiberglass structural sections (tubes,
I-beams)".  I know I've seen things like that, but I am not familiar with
suppliers.  I do know some yacht manufacturers were starting with styrofoam for
stingers, lighter and cheaper, and the atrength was in the fiberglass laid over
them and bonded to the hull.

As for " Rough up the surfaces and slather with resin?"  there's a little more
to it than that.  For one thing fiberglass does not go around sharp corners too
well.  They are generally rounded off (outside corners) or filled in with a 45
degree agle piece (inside corners).  There are many good books on working with
fiberglass, even in libraries for starters.  There are also many experienced
people in most areas where there are marinas and boats.

One area I am not knowledgeable about is what is required for certification.
There may be a requirement for metal framing or something.  There should be
enough  people on the P-subs list who can help with that end of it.  I asked a
"newbie" question a few weeks ago about using Ferro Cement for a sub hull.  The
certification. The same could be true for fiberglass structural sections.

Dan

P.S. What general area are you in - I'm on the bayshore of New Jersey, USA
(south of Staten Island)

"Marsee Skidmore" <heyred@email.msn.com> on 01/16/2000 01:14:02 PM

Please respond to personal_submersibles@psubs.org