Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] psubs club sub

Oh yeah.  If you think about it; in addition to custom stuff, there are a
number of components that all psubs have in common.  A few that spring to
mind are viewport lenses and rings, hatch covers and associated hardware,
pressure compensated motor housings.
Once a superior design is created or procured, all that is left is finding
the least expensive avenue of fabrication which may be one of the members
who has access to the necessary equipment, or a friend who has a shop.  It
just takes coordination.
I saw a website the other day that offered plans for pressure compensated
motor housings for $150.  The same basic design is used, only the dimensions
are adjusted for motor size.  The same company builds psubs.  So obviously
it is going to be a proven design.  Do each of us have to pay $150 for the
same information?  Why not a few people kick in for the plans, and someone
do a white paper on motor housings.
The same could be said for hatches, latches, and so forth.  I have a catalog
from the same company that supplies hatches, manholes, and ballistic doors
for the U.S. Navy.  The catalog has detailed drawings of all their products
along with description of materials.  Why try to reinvent the wheel?  I hate
paperwork, but I think I'll try my hand at a white paper on hatches.
The same could be said for viewports.  I know their are publications out
there on the subject, but why do each of us have to pay $100 here, and $100
there for the same information?  Money could be better spent on fabrication.
Think of it as a research paper.  I suggest using APA format for the white
papers.  Use quotations and document sources.  Add a disclaimer if you feel
discomfort, although the psub website already has one.

TTYL,
Big Dave